Saturday, December 4, 2010

Souvenirs

I haven't posted in ages.  I have a dozen stories of wonderful things I've eaten saved up, but I've been too busy collecting memories to write them up.

Now that my stay is drawing to a close and my homesickness becomes overwhelming, I've found myself consumed by a need to bring things back to Chicago, both for myself and as gifts for the people I miss.  Not models of la Tour Eiffel or I <3 Paris scarves, but things that are really, truly, innately Parisian.  I have fallen victim to the cult of can't get it at home.

But today, as I made runs to the Maille boutique for unpasteurized mustard and to G. Detou for lentilles du Puy,creme de marrons d'Aubenas, and piment d'Espelette, I realized why I am buying things I've never tried before and have no idea if I'll like.  I want to bring Paris back, and this whole experience of exploring and discovering in the city I dreamed of visiting when I was a little girl.  I'm just as sad to be leaving as I am happy to go home.

But all the chocolate, wine, and Bordier butter in the world won't be the same as being here.  I'm already plotting and scheming to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment